The road south of our house is under construction.

Still.

Every time I see the sign, I know that I need to slow down. The road will get a little bumpy. There might be delays. And my car will probably get a little dusty as it bounces over the rough patches.

They dug up the old road and laid a new section of piping. Replaced the dirt and packed it down. A layer of gravel. New concrete curbs and sidewalk poured. Asphalt spread and rolled flat. The whole process involves many, many time-consuming steps. Why else would the estimated completion date still loom weeks away?

Yet, when the workers are done, the finished road will be so much nicer than it was when they started working. Smooth. Clean. Fresh paint.

It’s the same with my writing journey. I have a novel under construction.

Still.

I thought I was almost done but all I’d really done was lay the foundation. Now, I’m adding layers to plotlines, outlining character motivations, and painting the whole thing with sensory details. The process takes time and there are a few rough spots left. More delays as I brainstorm solutions. And, like the road crew, I’m working toward a self-imposed deadline.

But, when I’m finished? Ooo-la-la. Clean prose and smooth reading.

What is under construction in your life? Are you being patient with the process?

Road Signs Part 1 – Construction Ahead

8 thoughts on “Road Signs Part 1 – Construction Ahead

• August 10, 2009 at 11:44 am

>Great analogy, Candee! My novels have undergone enormous amounts of construction and I think they're smooth. But I'm sure future editors will find a LOT more work that needs to be done!

• August 10, 2009 at 11:48 am

>I feel like I'M under construction, after a divorce and rebuilding my life and returning to writing. But I'm getting there!

• August 10, 2009 at 7:17 pm

>I am SO with you on this!!! I feel like I have the road laid, but now I have to paint the lines, put up the guard rails, and install traffic signals properly. *grin*

• August 10, 2009 at 7:36 pm

>I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one under construction.

So, here's another question. Is construction ever really done?

And, what about those weather delays? i.e. children, laundry, errands, work, car repairs, etc. Seems like I've had several of those holding up my progress.

Maybe I should post a sign on my office/bedroom door – Caution: Work Zone.

• August 11, 2009 at 7:18 am

>I have lots under construction and it seems that none of my books are finished–even though the first draft has long since been laid.

• August 11, 2009 at 10:31 am

>Definitely my writing. And my faith, which, like many roads, is being paved anew.

• August 13, 2009 at 11:51 am

>Yes. I'm learning to love road construction.I drove up Hwy 7 on my way to clear my head and pray at Lily Lake. So many frustrations about the whole writing process. Why does it have to take so long? As if learning to write well should be any different than learning to be a good wife or mother or friend.It took me years to become an accomplished musician. Am I so arrogant that I think I could just speed through the process like the character in "Click?"
    God encouraged me that afternoon. He's not in so much of a hurry. Just like our becoming like Jesus, He means to get it just right. It takes more than a lifetime.

• August 13, 2009 at 12:21 pm

>Dena, thanks for stopping by. You make a good point about construction in other areas of life.

I hope I can learn to love road construction. I think I can, I think I can.