Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_REFERER" in /home/customer/www/candeefick.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/spacious-pro/spacious-pro.template#template on line 43

Are you ready for more lessons from football?

Last Friday, we looked at the importance of taking time-outs during the action.

Today, we’re going to look at the weight room. That place filled with clanging metal, loud supposedly-inspiring music, and sweating bodies. Where athletes grunt, groan, and strain to lift bars loaded with weights, and then do it again. And again.

Why would any sane person put themselves through such torture? To grow stronger. To build muscle. To run faster. To push harder. To face opposing linemen without flinching. To withstand injury.

How? Because repeatedly pushing against resistance builds strength. The athlete is then able to lift that same loaded bar with less effort than before. Or, they can increase the weight and take on a bigger challenge.

It’s the same in life. Every time I successfully face resistance, I grow stronger in character. And faith. And patience. That increased strength comes in handy the next time I face opposition or trials.

Hmm. Rejoice in the weight room because it makes me stronger. That sounds familiar.

(Update 2011: For more lessons about faith and football, see Pigskin Parables: Reflections of a Football Widow and the companion devotional ebook.)

What resistance are you facing? Are you growing stronger from the opposition or letting it keep you out of the weight room of life?

6 thoughts on “Football Friday – Weight Training

• September 4, 2009 at 7:32 am

>Love this thought, Candee! Often instead of facing the resistance, we run from it. Think of how much stronger we'll grow when we just put our heads down, grunt a little, and start the weight training!

• September 4, 2009 at 8:46 am

>Hi, Candee!

The next time I'm in a period of resistance, I'll try to envision all the muscles I'm building! Woohooo!

Have a great weekend!

• September 4, 2009 at 10:17 am

>God keeps using football to teach me about life. Maybe it's because I need a new analogy to make the lessons stick.

• September 4, 2009 at 5:44 pm

>Great analogy, and as a former athlete (I say former because I haven't played a sport in quite a while now) I completely agree about the weight lifting.

• September 5, 2009 at 4:40 pm

>Such a delight to visit today. In my life, I resisted with wrong motives in the past. Thankfully, God's grace is new every morning and I am walking in faith with God's guidance.

Blessings from the rain,
    Sarah Dawn

• September 6, 2009 at 3:44 pm

>Candee,

WOW! What a great tie in with why so many people struggle with going through rough times. I have always shared that it is through times like these that people grow in their faith. This really drives that point home.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today and becoming a follower of mine as well. So glad that you are part of my new family so I decided to join yours as well.

Looking so forward to getting to know you even more!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat