Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_REFERER" in /home/customer/www/candeefick.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/spacious-pro/spacious-pro.template#template on line 43

For the past four Mondays, we’ve been looking at transformations.

In boiling water, eggs become hard and carrots become soft, but coffee beans transform their circumstances into coffee. Under intense heat and pressure, black carbon transforms into transparent diamonds. Oysters turn their irritations into pearls. The crashing waves upon the sands of life polish broken glass into a beachcomber’s treasure.

Today’s transformation focuses on silver.

In nature, silver is usually found in a combination with lead or copper. In fact, the precious metal is only one small fraction of the rock’s mineral composition. Silver-bearing ore is mined and then crushed and ground. After a flotation separation process, the remaining silver-bearing mineral concentration is ready for the extraction process.

With me so far? If you’re a silver molecule, so far you’ve been dug up, pulverized and drowned in water to separate you from the other parts of the rock who’ve been your neighbors for years.

In order to get the silver separated from the lead or copper, it’s time to turn up the heat. Until the metal melts. Until the impurities rise to the surface and are skimmed (or burned) away. Until the silver shines like a mirror and is ready to be poured into a mold.

Are you seeing a pattern here? Uncomfortable heat and time. Yet, this process happens under the watchful eye of the refiner who is careful to not to let the silver overheat. The craftsman who knows the silver is ready when his image is reflected.

When the heat of your journey is turned up, have you seen impurities rise to the surface? Is it reassuring to know the heat won’t get too hot?

9 thoughts on “Transformations – 5

• September 21, 2009 at 12:36 pm

>Candee,

I know that in the midst of the fire and pressure that I must endure, God never leaves my side, and for awhile while enduring it, it makes me a better person because of it. I love that God is the blacksmith in my life always shaping me and forming me into a better person.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

• September 21, 2009 at 1:14 pm

>Hi Candee!

It was so great to meet you in person at ACFW! And congratulations on winning runner up in your category! I was thrilled for you!! I hope that you had some good things come from the conference! Any requests?

Thank you for continuing to point to the refining that goes on in creation. Obviously if this happens so much in nature, then it's important to the Lord! And we should pay more attention to it in our own lives!

Hope you're settling back into real life!

• September 21, 2009 at 4:08 pm

>Candee, it was great meeting you at conference. Did we really say, eh? Honestly, I rarely do!!

This silver process is so amazing. I had no idea how much it resembles God's work in each of us. Sometimes I think He believes I a much higher heat tolerance than I really do, though. LOL Or, rather, I wish He didn't know my tolerance level.

• September 21, 2009 at 6:47 pm

>Hi Candee,
    Yeah, can you say marriage? LOL I've learned lots of unpleasant things about my dear SELF that I would have never know had I not been put under some heat. Ditto with my kids too. LOL!
    Thanks for sharing the process.
    πŸ™‚ I'm not sure I really got to talk to you a whole lot at the conference, but I enjoyed meeting you. πŸ™‚ You have gorgeous hair too!

• September 21, 2009 at 8:20 pm

>Kat, I'm so glad God is watching over the whole process and never leaves me alone.

Jody, ditto on the glad-to-meet-you. Wish I had requests to follow up on but I DO have a pile of ideas to take the ms to the next level. And more books clammoring to be written.

Eileen, I've talked to God about my lack of heat tolerance but I think He just smiles. I trust that He knows what He's doing in my life.

Jessica, ditto on the wish-we-had-more-time-to-talk and ditto on God using the home front as the source of heat. LOL. As for the hair, if you only knew how often I've tried making it do something else. I gave up and let it do what it wants. Curl.

• September 22, 2009 at 7:45 am

>Candee,

Please stop by my blog today for your blessing from God.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

• September 22, 2009 at 10:52 am

>Yes, the impurities raise when the heat is on. I want His holy fire to burn out the gunk.

πŸ™‚

Enjoyed this post.

• September 22, 2009 at 2:15 pm

>This was a wonderful post. Yes, I have found that hard times bring character to the surface. Even though I would not have volunteered for any of those hard times, I can see God's hand in them as I look back. My favourite devotional is Streams in the Desert, and the entire theme is God and suffering. Keep up the good work, I enjoy it so much.

• September 22, 2009 at 9:29 pm

>That's deep; quite a metaphor. I don't know how to answer that one. Maybe I just don't want to ask that of myself. πŸ™‚ Trying to keep those skeletons and insecurities in the closet. πŸ™‚