Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_REFERER" in /home/customer/www/candeefick.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/spacious-pro/spacious-pro.template#template on line 43

Since we are changed by the journey, we’ve been looking at examples of transformations. Many of them involved heat, pressure, irritation, and being broken. Ouch. But, what about waiting in the dark for something to happen?

Today’s spotlight is the butterfly.

This insect starts out as a worm, er, caterpillar. It spends its days crawling around and eating. As it grows, it sheds its old skin for a new one. While it might have interesting stripes and fuzzy hair, the caterpillar is anchored to the ground by gravity.

Then, one day, the caterpillar spins a cocoon and disappears. Literally. For a long time. While inside, the caterpillar’s tissue is broken down and a new structure is formed. This is the transformation stage.

At last, the shell is broken open and a butterfly emerges. Fragile, colorful wings are unfurled and tested in the breeze. Until, at last, the insect takes flight for the rest of its life. Soaring and migrating to places it never imagined as a caterpillar.

What about me? Yep, some days I feel like a worm. Anchored down by responsibilities. I might have a few semi-attractive characteristics but, really, all I do I live for me and my needs. (And, I’ll stop before I mention growing and, um, needing to get some new skin, er, clothes.)

Then comes a time of transformation. Often in the dark since I can’t see what God is doing. Waiting and waiting for something to happen. Yet, I’m being changed from the inside out. I’m a little cramped and can’t wait to get out of this place. It’s uncomfortable.

Finally, I feel myself breaking free. Seeing the light after so much darkness. Spreading wings I didn’t know I had. Gaining altitude and a new perspective. Going places I’d only dreamed of.

What about you? What stage of this process are you in? Does knowing there’s a butterfly at the end make the waiting worthwhile?

10 thoughts on “Transformations – 7

• October 5, 2009 at 6:04 am

>In many ways I'm the worm, inching my way a long, but in other ways I feel like I'm the butterfly in that cocoon, not quite ready to emerge. It really depends on my perspective at the moment of what I think of my writing. Very volite! I'll never stop learning in this business, that's for sure!

• October 5, 2009 at 11:53 am

>Candee,

Great post! I love this analogy and feel like most days I am stuck in a cocoon waiting for my moment to break free.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

• October 5, 2009 at 12:27 pm

>Great post. Hmmm, what process am I in? I'm the worm. Yep. Recently unemployed I am in a cocoon being developed. Changing . . . just don't knowwhat it's going to look like yet.

BUT, having said that . . . I can't wait to see what my wings will look like once God sees it ready for me to take flight.

• October 5, 2009 at 6:29 pm

>I had a revelation within the last year. I realized that I have all that I need – not everyting that I want – but surely all my needs met. I realized that not many people can say that.

I still have disappointments here and there, but somehow they're short lived. I think when I reached 50, I decided (and naturally evolved) that I would always be a butterfly. I'm tired of all those other stages! πŸ™‚

• October 5, 2009 at 7:23 pm

>Hi! Could I add you to my CdLS bloggers blogroll? Thanks!

• October 5, 2009 at 8:26 pm

>Welcome Heidi. Feel free to add me to the CdLS blogroll.

Anita, congrats on leaving the other stages behind. I love your attitude and perspective.

Eileen, Kat and Lynn – I'm with you. Someday we'll get past our worm/cocoon stages. At least until God starts to do something new – again.

• October 5, 2009 at 10:47 pm

>definitely makes it worth it!

i checked out tate publishing….i didn't realize you were already published with them! that's so great. πŸ™‚

I wanted to let you know about my blog address change. *sigh* If you're following me, my posts now won't show up in your feed, dashboard, sidebar, whatever. So please forgive me, but you'll have to change the address for my main writing blog, Where Romance Meets Therapy, to http://jeanniecampbell.blogspot.com. To do this, you have to "unfollow" me and follow me again. Sorry for the confusion!

Jeannie
    The Character Therapist

• October 6, 2009 at 11:33 am

>I think knowing that does help, yes. What stage am I? LOL I don't know. I wish I was in the cocoon but have a feeling I might still be a worm. LOL!
    Good post. I've heard this analogy before but I think you've written it in a fresh way. It was great to read. πŸ™‚

• October 6, 2009 at 12:39 pm

>Wonderful Post… love the analogy!
    Thanks for joining my blog. Visit often.

I love yours!

• October 6, 2009 at 1:58 pm

>It really makes all the difference in the world. The scriptures say, that God knows the plans he has for us- to give us a good future and a hope! Glory!

So even in the dark, I am constantly being transformed into His perfect image. I love waiting and working to see Him transform my writing.

Blessings to you…