“I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us . . . And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” (Romans 8:18, 28 NIV)

For the past seven Monday, we’ve looked at the transformation process in:
  • eggs, carrots and coffee beans – especially how they all react differently to the boiling water.
  • diamonds – how intense pressure, heat, time and a cutting process create a sparkling gem.
  • pearls – how irritations transform into valuable assets.
  • sea glass – how the broken and discarded pieces of life get polished into collectibles.
  • silver – how heat causes impurities to rise to the surface to be skimmed away leaving a mirror to reflect the image of the refiner.
  • stained glass – how pieces of our lives are rearranged and fit together to create a master pattern.
  • butterflies – how worms go into hiding and are rebuilt from the inside out to become a colorful creature that can fly.

Each of these went through a period of “present sufferings.” Heat, pressure, time, brokenness, darkness, irritations, being tossed in the waves of life.

Each was changed in the process. The eggs became hard and carrots soft. But, the rest? They became something of value. Changing the circumstances with a rich aroma. Filling the world with beauty. Reflecting the light. Soaring on the breeze.

What about me? My journeys are also full of “present sufferings.” But, I’m being changed by the journey. If I can keep my eye on the “glory that will be revealed in us” and trust that God – the Refiner and Master Craftsman – is working all the pieces into place, then somehow the current pain serves a purpose.

What about you? How are you being changed by the journey? Aren’t you glad that God has a plan?

Transformations – 8

8 thoughts on “Transformations – 8

• October 7, 2009 at 8:04 am

>Hi Candee!

The Holy Spirit is so intelligent- I needed this today. I feel like my present sufferings are clouding my vision of God actually being at work. I know He is.

Thank you for this faithful reminder.

Blessings to you…

• October 7, 2009 at 9:24 am

>OH, Candee, you are an amazing blogger!! You always make me think!

Yes, I'm being changed with the workings of this journey. Right now I'm being seriously taught perseverence and He's trying to teach me discipline too, I'm sure, but I'm battling that one…again!

Must truly surrender, I know!

• October 7, 2009 at 10:47 am

>Candee,

I love that each day is a new day to learn something from God. May He continue to work in my life ever shaping and refining me until the day is complete.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

• October 7, 2009 at 11:13 am

>I've just loved and been encouraged by all of your examples!! It's truly amazing to think about all of the things God created that have to undergo such intense heat and pressure in order to be transformed! I don't know why we humans think we should be excluded from that process! I guess our sinful nature tends to want to avoid the pain! Thanks, Candee!

• October 7, 2009 at 11:26 am

>i'm glad God has a plan…i just wish we could compare dayplanners sometimes. but i just have to trust! i'll get what i need when i need it.

thanks for this post. (i loved an email i got about how you letter hot water effect you…compared to the egg, carrot and coffee bean)

jeannie
    Where Romance Meets Therapy

• October 7, 2009 at 11:28 am

>I love the way you condense such an important thought into this little gem of a post. Thanks for the reminder that yes, although I may not feel the slow change sometimes, I'm always being refined. And I am SO glad that the plan is not mine. ๐Ÿ™‚

• October 7, 2009 at 5:56 pm

>Hi Candee –

I once heard a story of a garment that had a hole. The seamstress came along and sewed it together. Then she embroidered a beautiful flower over the repair.

Instead of an eyesore, it became the focal point of the garment. God takes all the rips, tears, and holes in my life and turns them into something special.

Blessings,
    Susan ๐Ÿ™‚

• October 7, 2009 at 7:33 pm

>Susan, thanks for sharing that lovely story. It's a perfect picture of transformation.

Tamika and Rosslyn, thanks for stopping by and becoming followers. My hope is that you found encouragement.

Jeannie, I'm laughing at your dayplanner comment. I'd LOVE a peek at God's plan for me. But, then I'd probably complain about how long it's taking. Or try to get there faster on my own. Oh. I'm already guilty of that. Sigh.