With life’s journeys, we usually focus on the destination or the path that takes us there. Yet, another aspect to consider is the weather. Last week, we looked at storms, drought, and fog, and how they can affect the journey. This week, I’m continuing the weather report.

Today’s topic is wind. Wind is simply moving air. It can move fast like a gale and destroy like a tornado. Or it can move gently like a draft or breeze.

Since we’ve already covered storms, I’d prefer to think of today’s wind as a breath of fresh air.

I grew up near Denver, Colorado. Sometimes the atmospheric conditions were such that a “brown cloud” of smoky pollution hovered over the city. People with asthma had difficulty breathing and others dealt with stinging eyes.

Until the wind came. A strong wind that blew away the smog and dirt. The air cleared and we could breathe easily again. The sky looked bluer and everything smelled better. All because of the wind.

What about life? Sometimes my life gets polluted with bad habits and attitudes. I find myself surrounded by stagnant routines and a dreary outlook. I need wind — maybe even the wind of a storm — to shake things up and clear the air. To signal a change and bring life back into a clear focus.

Recently, my husband has gone through a storm at work and the resulting wind has clarified our priorities. Revealed hidden places of pride and anger. Brought us to our knees and then allowed us to rise again to continue the journey.

What about you? Have you ever lived under a “brown cloud”? What kind of wind stirred things up and cleared the air?

Weather Patterns – Wind

6 thoughts on “Weather Patterns – Wind

• November 9, 2009 at 7:56 am

>AMEN! Sometimes the wind we view as bad or annoying turns out to be our greatest blessing.

Blessings, andrea

• November 9, 2009 at 8:45 am

>Oh, many times I've been shadowed by that brown cloud, and it's usually something very insignifcant in itself that pulls me out, but just enough of a wake-up call to do it.

• November 9, 2009 at 10:58 am

>Lately I've been trying to see brown clouds with a new perspective, but they can be difficult nonetheless. The wind that whips it away is often a change of heart and plenty of times blessings from God we never expected.

• November 9, 2009 at 1:11 pm

>Sometimes we do need that fresh breeze to blow through and refresh us! We get caught in the daily smog and fog of everyday life. Sometimes for me, that fresh breeze is a quiet day or time away from the daily routines of life. I need those times to help me regain perspective!

• November 10, 2009 at 4:57 pm

>Being brought to ones knees is tough, but it happens to all of us. When it happens, I try to hold on and ride it out. Lots of prayer. I am very thankful to God that we have not had a storm that has devastated our lives with a feeling of hopelessness.

• November 10, 2009 at 4:59 pm

>God Bless you and your family.

Keep writing and blogging. 🙂